Sunday, June 02, 2013

What's Up With Conversion Stories?

I notice that a lot of websites/youtube channels focus a lot of attention on conversion stories. You know someone tells how he/she became Muslim. I like to hear such stories and I find them quite interesting. However, I  do not know of this being a way of daw'ah among the early generations of Islam. Also on the practical level - who really converts to Islam because of hearing such stories?

The only real example of someone who has really inspires other as a result of his conversion and more so on how he lived his life (or at least the myth we have of it) is Malik Shabazz (Malcolm X).

May Allah reward those people who have a good intention in doing this, but perhaps more time and effort should be put somewhere else - like learning the religion. One area to start is with learning tawhid, its right, and what nullifies it. Just some food for thought. I hope I do not offend anyone. What do you all think about this?

1 comment:

  1. Well you make a good point. I didn't accept Islam due to anyone's reversion stories, although I read many before I did. I think it has 2 benefits; it helps strengthen an existing Muslim's faith, and it also gives a nervous revert some feeling of relief to know people before them did it and turned out OK. The many stories weren't as effective as meeting other reverts who already took the step and gave me real-world advice, though.

    ReplyDelete